The South Los Angeles Transit Empowerment Zone (SLATE-Z) is now a federal Promise Zone!
On June 6, 2016, U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development Deputy Secretary Nani Coloretti visited Los Angeles Trade Technical College (LATTC) to announce that South Los Angeles won a federal Promise Zone designation in the third round of the competition. The event was attended by Mayor Eric Garcetti, elected officials who represent the area (including Congresswomen Karen Bass, Lucille Roybal-Allard, and Maxine Waters, Supervisors Mark Ridley-Thomas and Hilda Solis, Council President Herb Wesson, Councilmembers Marqueece Harris-Dawson and Curren Price, and School Board Member Dr. George McKenna), more than 100 community partners working in South Los Angeles, and residents – including students from the Coalition for Responsible Community Development’s YouthBuild Charter Academy.
For more information:
- Los Angeles Times – After failed attempt, South L.A. wins Promise Zone designation, which could bring in money
- CBS Los Angeles – South LA Named A Promise Zone By Obama Administration
- Curbed – South LA Finally Getting Advantageous Promise Zone Status
- MyNewsLA -South LA designated ‘Promise Zone’ by Obama administration
- 89.3 KPCC – Obama administration designates South LA as promise zone
- 89.3 KPCC – South LA designated a ‘Promise Zone’, what that means for residents
- LA Wave – South L.A. receives Promise Zone designation
- ABC7 – South LA becomes latest federal ‘Promise Zone,’ could receive millions in grants
- RealEstateRama – Bass applauds South LA Promise Zone Designation
- StreetLABlog – South L.A. Celebrates Slate-Z’s Promise Zone Designation; Prepares to Roll up Sleeves and Get to Work
- Univision – Proyecto busca rescatar el sur de Los Angeles
- USC News – South L.A. named a Promise Zone; goal is improving residents’ lives